- Written by Robert Colvin
Trinity’s roots stem from the need to provide spiritual care for U.S. military personnel and consulate workers following World War II. In 1956 a group of American Lutherans living in the Rhine-Main area asked the German church, die Dreieinigkeits Gemeinde (in English, Trinity Congregation) located near the Frankfurt Zoo, to begin regular Lutheran ministry in English. The first service for a handful of worshipers was held at the church a year later. The name Trinity Lutheran Church was selected to honor the then host congregation for their assistance.
Originally Trinity’s pastoral leadership came from The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA). These two branches of American Lutheranism agreed to a provision for rotation of pastors every three to six years between sponsoring church bodies. As membership increased and the congregation outgrew its previous facilities, the decision was made in 1977 to move to a centrally located church building, the former Christus Immanuel Gemeinde at Nibelungenallee 54 where the congregation presently meets.
During the last five years the makeup of the church has changed substantially with the departure of most U.S. military from the region and a reduction in employees at the U.S. consulate in Frankfurt. Trinity is now a multi-cultural congregation with members coming from a wide range of countries such as India, China, the Philippines, various African countries, Poland, Germany, Italy, Malaysia, Singapore, Slovakia, Albania, as well as the U.S. Trinity ministers to Christians of many denominations wishing to worship in English.